Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Pamcy Fernandez’ sounds of summer: From confectionary to beach tunes



Pamcy Fernandez’ sounds of summer: From confectionary to beach tunes
by rick olivares

Young electronic artist Pamcy Fernandez is a busy bee nowadays. She released via Spotify and Soundcloud her new extended play album, Deep Sea Pearls, a week ago. And her debut cassette single, Piso Isa, is now available.

The cassette single, produced by Australian label, Healthy Tapes, is now in the hands of Fernandez for domestic consumption. The young lass out of Ateneo de Manila University attracted the attention of Healthy Tapes’ Lee Hannah sometime in 2017 and now, this cassette single is out.

“It’s sounds weird that it’s new music and it’s on an old music form – the cassette,” said Fernandez during a meet up at Treskul CafĂ© in Boni Avenue, Mandaluyong City. “I think it’s so cool that I am also planning my next release on cassette.”

The budding artist finally received her copies to sell the other day and Pamcy couldn’t sleep a wink in excitement. “I went to the post office to claim my package the first thing the next day,” she exclaimed. “Opening the package and there were all these cassettes – it was a surreal feeling. I never imagined I’d get a release. And to think I just did this as a hobby.”

Her parents too are now excited fans. “My mom also thought it was just something to keep me busy. But when I took her to a gig, she now wants to help book them. And the cassette… they are happy too because they know this is something serious.”

While Piso Isa are souvenirs from her younger days, her new EP, Deep Sea Pearls, reflects a more adventurous spirit. The new songs are R&B and Soul inflected house tunes that are simply groovylicious. The track “No Way” featuring Olympia is a gorgeous neo-soul number.

“Since the article on ABS-CBN, I started to get more features elsewhere,” she enthused. “And even better, I’ve been getting some gigs. For now, once a week. But it has been increasing.”

This coming Thursday, Pamcy will be performing at the Slow Cook production at Today X Future in Cubao along with fellow electronic artists Levanstock, Shape/Shift, and Beachwitch.

You may get in touch with Pamcy Fernandez through her Facebook page or via her Soundcloud and Spotify accounts. The Piso Isa cassette single costs P400 each and comes with download tracks for two songs.













No comments:

Post a Comment