Tuesday, May 22, 2018

I got the Saddest Landscape's Declaring War on Nostalgia Box Set



It is sheer dumb luck where you pick out a record of a band you don’t know only because you like the cover and it turns out to be great! It was so with The Saddest Landscape’s You Will Not Survive with this picture of a woman wrapped in winter gear. It isn’t the most fetching image but I was drawn to it nevertheless. That single featured the song “Declaring War on Nostalgia” on the A-Side with “Statue of A Girl” on the flip side.

It was powerful. Intense. And I liked it.

But that was it. I tried to search for the bin of punk rock seven-inchers where I found The Saddest Landscape but someone bought everything. Everything. For a huge amount of money! Really! And these are really bands that no one knows. Save for that person with an insane amount of money.

I didn’t lose sleep over it. It’s fine. So that was it I thought with regards to the band.

That is until I heard that they came over – and I missed the show because I didn’t know – and they were releasing a single with Filipino post-punk band, Legarda. Now how is that for double excitement? I like Legarda with their instrumental-driven spoken word type of performances.

The single was being sold either separately or with The Saddest Landscape’s Declaring War on Nostalgia vinyl box set. I asked Legarda’s vocalist, Keith Dador, if I could buy a copy of the single when they get their stocks. Fortuitously, I also asked a friend based in New York to get the box set.

When Keith got back to me, he said they got few copies. Just enough for the band and the promoter. I didn’t feel bad because I had the box set on the way.

And boy, is it worth it.

I also truly enjoy the music of The Saddest Landscape. It’s powerful and intense. I love that the three records come in clear, gray splatter, and gray colors. I like the t-shirt that features Kate Hudson from the film Almost famous, I love the pins, and of course, the split single with Legarda of which only 50 copies were pressed. So I am one of 50 people with a copy of this!




1 comment:

  1. Informative article, exactly what I needed.

    ReplyDelete