Sunday, May 6, 2018

Kagatan 27 Vinyl Record Haul

Here is my Kagatan 26 haul. I am extremely happy with everything that I got.

Now, every song, every record has a story. And these are mine as I have almost gotten back all the albums I got when I was a youngster (I lost half to my mom throwing them out and the other half to a fire that destroyed our home; I had some with me that were left untouched).


Cosmic Thing was the last B-52s album I bought from the band (I got everything from their self-titled debut to this album). I loved each and every record from the B-52s and this was a good record that featured "Roam" and "Love Shack". It feels great to get this back and now I have everything once more save for Good Stuff and Funplex that I will eventually get as well.

Youth of Today is one of those New York Hardcore bands that I like. Of the NYHC bands, I have records from Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, Gorilla Biscuits, Warzone, and Judge (my fave of them all). My first album from the band was Break Down the Walls which I unfortunately do not have anymore so I am looking to replace it after it was lost to that same aforementioned fire. This record, We're Not In This Alone, is a reissue. Still happy to have it.

New Wave. This is the third ever New Wave/Punk Rock compilation ever released in the Philippines. I honestly liked this more than The Best of Punk and New Wave Rock because they featured bands and songs more associated with the punk scene as well as some good songs. This was the first Philippine release of the Ramones' "Sheena Is A Punk Rocker". And it was also the first for Patti Smith, the Boomtown Rats, Dead Boys, New York Dolls, and the Damned. I lost that Philippine press that I would like to have again. But this Japanese press isn't so bad.



Wilson Phillips was... a guilty listening pleasure. And they still are. It helped hearing them on American Top 40 that they had this association with the Beach Boys. I have the compact disc and now the long player.

Michael Jackson's Thriller. I was in seventh grade when this hit and it helped that Eddie Van Halen played the guitar solo on "Beat It". And this is an album where every single track was a hit. 

Teri De Sario's debut album, Pleasure Train, was released locally by my dad's former company (of which he was president), Discorporation. Aside from Ms. De Sario, they had Kiss, Donna Summer, the Village People, Paul Jabara, and KC and the Sunshine Band to name a few. This is a 70's disco/swing classic album. I think of my dad every time I hear the songs on this album as he not only kept playing them at home or during family reunions but Ms. De Sario also went to the Philippines one time and my dad helped make this happen.

British singer Julia Fordham's debut album. I first got this on cassette and then later compact disc. So getting the vinyl is the first time for me. I love this because of the intensely personal nature of the songs which are about relationships and fractured ones. I like "Invisible War", "Happy Ever After", and "Where Does the Time Go?"

One thing that made me pick up this album all those years ago because it featured Sting's drummer, Omar Hakim, as well as producer Hugh Padgham. 




As a kid, I mostly got the 12-inch records with a few cassettes and singles thrown in. I didn't get too many 45rpms because I thought that they were too expensive four two songs and usually the B-side wasn't good. Some of the first seven inchers I bought included Ocean Zoo, Lolita and the Bhoys' "Usok", the Scorpions' "Somewhere Out There", and "Planet Earth" by Duran Duran that was backed by "Late Bar" that I really liked.  


No comments:

Post a Comment