Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Looking at Roger Dean's first three Asia covers (Asia, Alpha & Astra)


Asia was one of those early 80s supergroups with members coming from Yes, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, and the Buggles. Aside from the band's music, one key element was the cover art by English painter Roger Dean who followed guitarist Steve Howe to Asia.

I remember being so struck by the cover of the debut album of Asia with the dragon chasing the orb. At the time of it's release, there were only two stores in Manila that sold this -- Sam's outside San Lo Village and Odyssey Greenhills. They fetched for P120 pesos which was a princely sum then as local records sold for only P24!

I got my copy outside Clark Airbase for -- P50!

Anyways, as a painter first and a writer later, I loved Dean's art. He helped open me up to these flights of fantasy and to date, I have not gone overboard! I bought a bunch of art books with all these fantasy paintings later on during my advertising years.

Now there's a story to the first three albums of Asia. Each character is reaching out for something -- (Asia) the dragon to this orb representing wisdom, (Alpha) the eagle searching for prey for sustenance, and (Astra) the robot reaching out; searching for its identity.

Thinking about the Astra cover, at the time of this album's release they were no longer the band that they were. John Wetton was fired then brought back. Steve Howe left. Truly, the band was searching for its identity!

But in spite of all the problems and changes, I remained a fan.


No comments:

Post a Comment