Wednesday, June 27, 2018

The Unheard of Music: The Shore



September 2004. I was at Kim’s Video and Music (in St. Mark’s) as I went once a week. Kim’s was known to cater to indie and underground bands. You wouldn’t find too much mainstream music here. This was where I lucked out the previous year bumping into the members of Billy Corgan’s old band, Zwan. In many stores like Kim’s in the US and UK, there are oft free cd samplers, stickers, zines and other stuff by the entrance or the counter.

This time, a dude came over and handed over a cd sampler. He asked if I was into bands like the Verve and Oasis. I said yes to which he offered, Then give this band a try handing me a cd sampler (the cd on the right).

He played his copy on a discman. And I liked it. It was heavily influenced by the Verve all right. I bought the album on cd as well.

It turned out this band, the Shore, were signed by Madonna’s label, Maverick Records. And they had all these junior account execs going around Manhattan giving free listens. The Shore was to play in NYC in a week.

They recorded two more albums but I haven’t been able to get them. I think they are still around. They just didn’t hit the big time as by 2004, Brit Rock bands had run their course. In fact, around that time, the Verve’s lead singer Richard Ashcroft had embarked on a solo album that didn’t do well either.

No comments:

Post a Comment