Monday, July 24, 2017

My love for Punk Rock and my vinyl collection


I was a kid when punk rock first came up. At first, my only source of information were American rock and roll magazines such as Creem (that was my favorite) and Rolling Stone. There was Hit Parader but I preferred Creem for its irreverent style. That's how I discovered the Ramones, Iggy and the Stooges, and MC5. But it was the Ramones and their album, "Rocket to Russia" that had reeled me in. Those greaser jackets. The JD (as someone once said, "choose your pick" -- Juvenile Delinquent or James Dean?) look. The rebellious nature. I was going to hit my teens in a few years after "Rocket to Russia" and by then I totally understood what rebelliousness meant.

Also at that time, no punk rock was played in the Philippines. The album hadn't hit the shores yet. If there were records around then it was brought home by rich kids who could go abroad and pick them up. But that's just me postulating on that.

By the late 1970s, DZRJ DJ Howling Dave began playing some punk rock records -- the Sex Pistols, the Clash, Stiff Little Fingers, and of course, the Ramones. Listening to that music then -- and it was martial Law at that time in the Philippines -- was like a form of rebellion. Although that military official assigned to oversee what radio played overlooked the angst of punk, it was still considered subversive in a way.

When Howling Dave first advertised the coming compilation album, "The Best of Punk and New Wave Rock Vol.1", I knew I had a chance to get my first punk record. And it took me two weeks to save up for that record. It was so worth it. And having it after all these years is a treat.

The first punk band whose albums I collected was Los Angeles-based, X, with punk princess Exene Cervenka on vocals, brooding John Doe on bass, the glamorous rockabilly rebel Billy Zoom on guitar, and manic DJ Bonebrake on drums. There are a couple of reasons why X appealed to me. First was that Ray Manzarek who made his name as keyboardist for the Doors, produced their records. Second, because Exene and John wrote poetry, and that was something I did a lot at that age. So mixing music, punk music at that, with poetry greatly appealed to me. Plus, they cut an awesome version of the Doors' "Soul Kitchen" on their landmark debut, "Los Angeles."

Man, I loved X. Even a bit more than the Ramones and the Clash. I collected all their vinyl records and later, compact disc released. I even purchased the re-mastered vinyl editions! That's how much I love this band. I, of course, have the vinyl and CDs of Rancid which is one of my all-time fave bands to go with the Clash.

My Filipino 7-inch EPs.
My few Asian punk rock 7-inch records!


My X records!

My Rancid LPs.

The re-issued Dead Kennedys singles.
First pressings of Cro-Mags' "The Age of Quarrel" and Agnostic Front's "Cause for Alarm".
Agnostic Front's Victim of Pain from Combat Core Records (Rat Cage released the first pressing). Judge's "No Apologies: The Chung King Sessions" and Crumbsuckers' "Life of Dreams" which was the first pressing in the UK. Don't have the American press but this will do.

Bad Religion's "Suffer" which is the first press. Circle Jerk's re-mastered "Golden Shower of Hits. Original first press of the Dead Kennedys' "Bleed for Me", re-issue of Madball's "Demonstrating My Style", original press for the Vandals' "Peace Thru Vandalism", and This is Hardcore (live).




Asian punk rock! The Bollocks are from Malaysia. Daily Ritual is from Singapore. While Warhead is from Japan.

My few records from the Clash. I have both the 10 and 12-inch versions of Black Market Clash. Plus, the Japanese version of their debut album titled, "Pearl Harbour '79".

The first punk rock record that I ever owned.

No comments:

Post a Comment